2/10/2014

Going to Rio de Janeiro

It is finally here. I will be flying to Rio for a week of training. I am going to be staying at Connection Rio in Barra da Tijuca because my friend Sebi had booked a room there and asked my to join.

It is going to be a huge change in temperature as we have had it below zero here in Helsinki and Rio. It seems to be mostly sunny and in the thirties next week in Rio. I really have to learn to hydrate myself properly in these conditions as this is a weak point of mine.


The flight from London to Rio is over 11 hours, but after weeks of stress from work it feels like a nice idea to just sit still and do nothing for a long period of time.

I am going to be training mostly at Alliance Rio with Alexande Paiva and his students. They actually just recently opened a new gym in Rio which is nice. They offer 5 classes per day during the week (7am, 1pm, 4.30 pm, 7pm and 8.30 pm), so I am really pumped. The target is 2 daily sessions for 6 days and just rolling at the Connection Rio house on Sunday. I don't know how my body can handle this so I would probably need to buy some supplements while down there. Especially since I would like to surf there at least once. Man, I will be sore.

It's also funny to notice how I mostly wait for the opportunity to roll with high level guys and see how classes are structured instead of picking up new techniques. This is a very different to what it was a few years ago, and probably because I teach more nowadays. Usually I integrate maybe 2 new moves to be game each year :) EDIT: Ok, maybe a little more as last year it was 4 (armbar wrench break, long step pass, kouchi gake and the russian 2-on-1 in nogi)



Packing is really a burden as I have to take as many gis as I can. 5 gi tops and 3 pants are in the luggage along with some rash guards and shorts for nogi training. Taking less pants than jackets is a good way to save space in yout luggage if you are squeezed. Training more nogi would help but there aren't many nogi classes available as academies in Rio tend to gravite heavily towards the gi in their training. If I have understood correctly this is mostly because the majority of competitions there are gi competitions.

I just charged my camera so I am looking to get as much material from there for this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment