9/24/2012

Leg reap rules causing headaches

Haven't been writing in a while, but I sure have been training. Started thinking of IBJJF leg reap rules today. According to IBJJF rules, a leg reap is basically when you "cross your outside foot inwards across your opponent's crotch".

I have felt the pain against the de la riva twist/berimbolo and understand why leg reap rules were created in the first place. This rule however seems to have some not so cool consequences such as limiting the use of one leg x-guard (although it doesn't really reap the knee) because your opponent can try to force you to reap from that position.

Now, I have managed to train one triangle escape to a level where I execute it in sparring against high level guys. Know I've started thinking there might be a possibility of an accidental leg reap if the opponent opens the triangle quickly.

The escape goes like this:

1. I grab opponent's sleeve or wrist with the hand not inside the triangle and sit down placing my foot on his armpit (like in spider guard but choosing the armpit instead of the bicep).


2. I lean back to the side of the triangle putting pressure directly on the spot where opponent's legs are crossed. For extra leverage I try to put my other foot on the opponent's hip/belly area similar to one leg x guard


I AM NOT SURE IF THIS IS A LEG REAP BECAUSE IT IS ONE THE BELLY AND NOT THE CROTCH AND THEREFORE THERE SHOULDN'T BE ANY DANGER TO THE KNEE. IF THIS IS A LEG REAP THEN THE MOUNT ESCAPE WHERE YOU SWING YOUR LEGS OVER YOUR OPPONENT'S BELLY IS A POTENTIAL REAP TOO.

1 comment:

  1. It is a leg reap, even no danger to knee.

    https://youtu.be/nd-pGVRLE2A?t=6m26s

    ReplyDelete