7/12/2012

Ban instructionals and focus on a few moves!


IMO, FOCUSING ON A LIMITED AMOUNT OF TECHNIQUES FOR A SUBSTANTIAL PERIOD IS BENEFICIAL

Many people, at least I, have a tendency of wanting to try new and cool techniques in training all the time. We all now that sometimes we should just do the same things over and over for a better result but it gets boring after a while. It has become even more difficult nowadays because there someone coming up with a new cool technique video or dvd every day.

The past 2 weeks, I've decided only to work only on takedowns and the triangle choke. This means, that in sparring I never pull guard and always go for a triangle from reasonable positions. This might reward me with a good triangle in a few months, but in reality I can not go for the triangle all the time in sparring either because:

1. I can not get into a position where the triangle is an option (closed guard, over hook half, side mount etc.). Or...

2. I can get into a position where I can attempt a triangle but the opponent is making it nearly impossible to choose it as a reasonable attempt (opponent clasping his hands together in closed guard)

What this means is that IT TAKES QUITE A LOT OF TIME to get a reasonable number of repetitions in live sparring for these techniques. I think a month of focusing on these might be a minimum time. This means my bjj training is currently almost as boring as going to the gym.



In reality, you probably even have to exclude some techniques permanently from "your system" because the amount of techniques in jiu jitsu is infinite. Marcelo Garcia has made it clear in his school for example, they don't teach any spider guard.

IF YOU DON'T WANT TO FOCUS ON A SINGLE TECHNIQUE, FOCUS ON A CERTAIN SYSTEM OF TECHNIQUES

If you have too short an attention span to work on a single technique, at least try to work on a single system for a month. For example, during the past year, I've almost never used the classic cross face side control. Instead I always religorously go for the old school version shown below. The old school control offers a different system of submissions and transition than the cross face control.

Originally I started with this side control "system" because it gave me a fast way to the back, but now I've started getting kimuras, because I've sticked with it. If I would have tried to develop both side control systems at the same time, I would probably been less succesful.

The different systems:




1 comment:

  1. Yes, I find that a really good way to learn. I focused on back attacks for the last 6 months and it took my back attackt to a new level... Now I am thinking on going on a montly theme. Now it is guard passing...

    ReplyDelete