6/19/2012

Useful Portuguese for BJJ

As I am struggling to sometimes understand what the teacher or other people say in class when they speak Portuguese, my training partner wrote me a vocabulary on most useful words for BJJ training in Portugal or Brazil for that matter. He did a nice handout with pictures too but I can't scan it. Hope these will help you on your training trips etc...

Basic movements:

Empurrar=push

Puxar=pull (Puxe is often heard, might get confusing because sound like "Push" in English)

Passar=pass

Estrangulamento=choke

Esgrima=underhook

Chᾶo=ground

Raspar=to sweep (raspagem=a sweep)

Montada=mount

Pegar as costas=back control

Ponte sobre o ombro ou barrigada=bridge

Cem quilos/kilos=side mount

Passa a guarda=pass the guard

Pegada=grip

Queda=takedown

Triᾶngulo=triangle

Vira de 4=turtle

Fuga de quadril=hip escape/shrimp

Baiana=double leg

Postura=posture

Joelho na barriga=knee on belly


Body parts:



Gi:

I found these words to be amongst the most useful while training in Portugal (I guess in Brazil they would be the same)

No comments:

Post a Comment